International Child Abduction

Help with international child abduction Affairs

International Child Abduction is fortunately for many people a 'far-from-their-bed show'. Nevertheless, dozens of families in the Netherlands are victims of this criminal offense every year.

There is talk of one international child abduction when a parent takes his / her child (ren) to another country without the consent of the other parent and the following conditions are met:

  • The parent left behind had parental authority at the time of the kidnapping
  • The parent who stayed behind actually exercised this right
  • The kidnapped child is a minor.

In most cases, an international child abduction is the result of a family conflict. The left-behind parent is desperate. Nevertheless, we strongly advise against taking matters into your own hands. This is because the actions may be illegal and this would delay the return of the child. Trying to abduct the child yourself can involve many risks:

  • You put yourself, the children and possibly others at risk
  • You may be detracting from future judicial efforts that may be undertaken in the country of kidnapping
  • It can lead to the arrest and imprisonment of yourself and any accomplices.

In addition, there remains a risk that the other parent will organize another kidnapping; the fear remains.

Strongwood guides when following the right steps

In order to achieve the desired results, in this case reuniting the child with the parent and preventing recurrence, the appropriate steps will have to be taken. Strongwood specializes in protecting against and investigating kidnapping and / or missing persons. You will be able to be assisted in the entire process from the start.

Step 1. Process of Declaration

It is important that an international child abduction report is filed in accordance with the rules. Strongwood will provide guidance in this: what should be considered, what information should the police be able to refute, and so on.

The first 72 hours of a missing person or kidnapping can be vital. The waiting time of 24 hours used by, among others, the Dutch police is understandable, but it concerns essential time that must not be lost. We have examples of cases resolved by Strongwood before the police could or were allowed to do anything.

Step 2. It localize of the child

"Where is my child" is of course the main question. By appealing to international conventions and cooperation with our international network, we will locate the child as soon as possible. To this end, we work together with specialists from government institutions at home and abroad and investigators linked to the justice system.

When the child has been located, the situation on the spot will soon be mapped out to see if the child is in danger. It will also be monitored so that the last step in the process can be carried out as soon as possible.

Step 3. Repatriate in other words, bringing the child back

Of course Strongwood also helps with the recovery or repatriate of children residing abroad through kidnapping, unauthorized removal or removal of parental authority.

Together with CWAT foundation we have the expertise to carry out the important 'field work' during these cases in the country where the child is taken. We are mainly concerned with the personal tracing, non-violent return of the abducted child and reunification with the parent.

If you have any questions about this topic or are dealing with international child abduction, please feel free to contact us without any obligation contact our office on 020-3690030.

Article 279. Use this article with the Police declaration

Anyone who deliberately removes a minor from legal authority over him or from the supervision of the person exercising this authority over him, shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding six years or a fine of the fourth category

Imprisonment of up to nine years or a fine of the fifth category will be imposed if cunning, violence or threats of violence have been used, or if the minor is under twelve years old.

Do you have help or advice required?

Chat online or feel free to call us 020-3698888