5 tips for living together in partner alimony research

5 tips for living together in partner alimony research

5 tips for living together in partner alimony research

As a specialist, we like to show how a certain research is done or what is important in this. Do you suspect that your ex-partner has a new relationship and is living with it? Would you like to reduce partner alimony to nil or stop paying partner alimony completely? First read the article below about the 5 tips you should take into account.

In most cases, our customers receive information or tips from third parties:

  •  "Did you know she has a new boyfriend / girlfriend and is living together?"
  •  “Are you still paying alimony? But she lives together, right? ”
  • Or, for example, the children report that the new partner is very nice.

We call these 'signals', which leads to the suspicion that the ex-partner, to whom you undoubtedly pay (too) much partner maintenance, has a new partner and is living with him without informing you. But is that really so?

The following simple tips will help you with what you need to do and know to demonstrate the ex's cohabitation with the new relationship.

Tip 1. First ask yourself whether you actually live together.

Of course it may be that people in your environment report this, that even the children indicate this or that it is simply online. Don't just go along with this. It may be that the ex-partner has a new relationship but that they are not yet living together as such.

First, start by carefully reviewing the agreements you have made with your ex-partner in the divorce agreement. For example, does it say that the ex-partner is allowed to live together on a trial basis? Is there a specific period in which this must be reported?

After that, it is advisable to at least start saving this data in what we call a logbook.

Tip 2. Always have a preliminary examination done by a specialist first.

This step will certainly confirm what you may already suspect. Never immediately write to your ex-partner, do your own research (this is not independent) or just have an entire investigation done. This gives you a good chance that you will 'throw away' money for nothing. A good specialist will always want to conduct a preliminary investigation first to check whether the suspicions are correct and whether they are indeed the case living with a new partner.

Tip 3. Make use of a party with a lot of experience in this area

If a preliminary investigation shows that the situation lends itself to a full partner maintenance investigation, do not hesitate and have this carried out. Check for yourself (as far as this is possible, of course) whether the specialist knows exactly what to do in terms of recording and that this is done in accordance with the legal guidelines. Unfortunately, it often happens that an engaged agency merely observes and makes a report without knowing exactly what a partner alimony investigation entails.

So ensure yourself of a solid specialist who:

If a specialist is involved in the necessary research, we recommend that you find a lawyer who is a specialist in this type of family law and has experience with this type of research report.

Tip 4. Actively participate in the investigation and request regular updates.

Of course, the information you receive is very important. Share this information with the specialist at all times and as soon as possible, as there may be important issues in between. Also ask for regular updates so that you stay informed of the progress and planning.

Tip 5. Consult with the specialist and lawyer about further strategy after completion of the investigation.

When the investigation has been completed and you have received all the necessary documents, consult with the lawyer about the strategy to achieve a reduction.

Usually the following steps are used:

  • Evaluation of the research and strategy determination.
  • Possibly expanding the research to better highlight certain matters
  • A letter from the lawyer to the ex-partner stating that the partner maintenance will stop on X date (usually the date on which the investigation started).
  • A lawsuit is often filed by the counterparty in response to the discontinuation of the spousal maintenance payment. But of course that can also be done by yourself for the sake of certainty, whereby the reclaiming of overpaid partner maintenance and the research costs often applies.
  • Waiting for the judge's verdict.

Very important: do not do it yourself but consult a specialist to handle it.

In short: if you want to reduce partner alimony, of course preferably to nil, always go through these 5 tips and make sure you get solid advice before you do anything further. Patience is a virtue and you usually only get one chance to get it right.

Do you need specific advice? Do not hesitate and call us on 020-3690030.

Other links:
Our service: Partner maintenance investigation
Partneralimentatie.com website with more information
Wikipedia cohabitation rate


Share this post